Tampa Bay goes dog-friendly this spring when the American Kennel Club brings hundreds of dogs to the Tampa Convention Center for its Meet The Breeds tour. The two-day event on April 23-24 is an opportunity for people of all ages to play with dogs and learn about caring for different breeds.
Brought to you by the American Kennel Club, AKC Meet the Breeds is a national tour offering cities a unique and interactive dog show. Aimed to help individuals and families understand which dog breeds are right for them, the event allows people to play with hundreds of dogs while learning about proper care and interesting stories about each breed at the event.
However, Meet The Breeds is much more than just furry dating. In addition to playtime, the event will feature various demonstrations showcasing the different athletic abilities of each breed. Additionally, they will have performances by AKC Trick Dog, Central Florida Disc Dogs and a special demonstration by Florida Urban Search & Rescue Teams.
Humans can even race the dog obstacle courses themselves, complete with photo ops.
Demonstration highlights include entertaining shows
Featured events include the following:
- Agility – See some of the fastest dogs in the country navigate an obstacle course of jumps, weaves and tunnels courtesy of the Dog Training Club of Tampa.
- Obedience – Watch the precision work of competitive obedience dogs as they heel, retrieve and demonstrate how dogs can progress from basic to next-level skills presented by the Dog Training Club of Tampa.
- lap dog – Move, sit and stay! These dogs’ routines are sure to impress the whole family, courtesy of the Dog Training Club of Tampa
- disc dog – Enjoy this fun, fast-paced sport that takes fetch play to a whole new level, brought to you by the Central Florida Disc Dogs.
- K9 Search and Rescue – Don’t miss this display of search and rescue dogs doing what they do best, courtesy of the Sarasota K9 Search and Rescue Team.
Tickets for the event are on sale nowwith kids’ tickets starting under $20, and VIP and early access options available.
“We are so excited to bring AKC Meet The Breeds to sunny Tampa Bay,” said Gina DiNardo, executive secretary of the American Kennel Club. “It is definitely a unique event. Everywhere you look you’ll see dogs, whether it’s your favorite breed or a breed you’ve never heard of before. Hopefully we can introduce the town to their new favorite dog breeds and educate them about responsible dog ownership. It’s the perfect weekend family activity.