Meet Eddy, who is looking for a special home to meet his needs and nearly doesn’t make it after a bad start in life.
Eddy was taken into the care of the Almost Home dog shelter a month ago after being abused and neglected.
He’s a mix of bullies, and he’s almost 2, and the rescue wasn’t sure of his outcome when he arrived, describing him as “touch and go”.
Eddy underwent a full health check and top priorities were getting him to eat and drink.
He started with five small soaked meals so he could hydrate. He only weighed 23 kg but should weigh around 35/40 kg. He also had muscle loss, dry skin, bald patches and other issues.
Read more: Meet Mali – the latest crime-fighting trainee dog in North Wales
Eddy is improving day by day and getting out of the danger zone despite the long road to recovery.
He needs to build muscle, especially on his hind legs, which makes him a bit wobbly.
One of Eddy’s disturbing behaviors was that he didn’t drink. The rescue was soaking his food to get the fluids down without disturbing him.
The rescue said: ‘It was heartbreaking! It was a rough ride for Eddy and at one point he deteriorated rapidly and refused to eat which meant he was not taking in any fluids.
“We had to start injecting him with water from a syringe and then after a while he stuck his head in the bowl of water and started drinking.
“Now Eddy still needs help with drinking and understanding that it’s there all the time, but he’s starting to remember it. We now feel like we’re on the road to recovery with Eddy!
Read more: Here’s how you can apply to foster a failed or retired police dog in the UK
Eddy is ready to move into a home environment, but he needs a very special kind of home due to his past abuse and neglect.
The rescue explained: “We would like Eddy to go to a ‘foster with a view to adopting’. This means someone will look after him and take care of him as a foster dog, but if things go as planned, they’ll adopt him when he’s ready.
“The idea is that he only has to settle in one house, because a minimum of movement is essential for this boy.
“Eddy has come a long way since being us and is getting better and better. He desperately needs to bond and find his person. This person/home needs the following criteria. We realize he This is a strict list, but it’s best for Eddy!
Read more: North Wales and Cheshire Police Dogs say emotional goodbye to two of their dogs
• A house as the only animal. He can walk with dogs but not live with them and does not accept cats.
• A quiet house where there is someone most of the time. No children. Sensible teenagers more.
• People who are passionate about getting the best out of Eddy and making sure his needs are met, including being able to visit the rescue vets in Mold and work alongside them with his training and socialization.
• No apps based on emotions. It will have its own challenges and it is a commitment of at least 10 years.
• Eddy takes the time to trust you and speaks up when he doesn’t know you. However, he never showed aggression towards people, just nervousness. This will improve with socialization. He adapts well, but he needs people who have an empathetic understanding of him and his needs.
Read more: Other dogs who were looking for their forever home with Almost Home
He is good in the car and also learns basic commands. He never destroyed his bedding or his doghouse. The more time he spends with you, the more he adores you.
Could you be exactly what Eddy is looking for? Please visit their website www.almosthome.dog or complete the adoption application to be considered for Eddy: https://almosthome.dog/adopt/